A picture can say a thousand words. With that in mind, look at, study, and really think about the meaning of the picture above – and how it connects to the essence of TEAM.
As implications of what is occurring in this picture, consider the following:
- How is this picture a metaphor for your team? (Whether you are thinking of a workplace project team, community group/team, athletic team, or any other type of group with more than 2 people working toward a common goal who influence one another.)
- What does the pool of water represent?
- What or who does the droplet(s) of water represent? How many “answers” can you come up with?
- How many variations of what the ripples in the water represent can you come up with? As you consider your team/group, can you generate concrete examples of what the ripples may represent?
- As you consider the list of concrete things that the ripples in the water may represent on your team, how did you feel about each one? How do you think members of your team felt? How do you think the leader(s) felt?
- What does the calm water beyond the ripples represent?
- How does the “pool of water” absorb the ripples as it seeks equilibrium and peace?
Team Impact…It Happens
Your answers to the questions above lead to these two – that get to the heart of improving your performance and effectiveness as a leader and as a team member.
- What’s it like to be YOUR teammate?
- What’s it like to be following YOUR leadership?
- How can you change your interactions and communication on your team so that you produce a more positive impact?
- What is YOUR ripple effect? And is it what you want it to be?
By Dr. Heidi Scott – The “Leader’s Coach” www.LearningPursuits.com